I am not vegan. While I whole heartedly respect to those who are, I do not ever aspire to be vegan. That said, every so often, most definitely after a few meat-loaded meals in a row, I feel the need to redeem myself by eating like a peasant and abstaining from animal produce. It’s like I’ve got to rise above and wash away my dirty first world sins. Ha.
The Boyfriend and Housemate raised their eyebrows when I said I was going to make vegan muffins. Ok, what is June REALLY up to this time? Here’s the spill. I was trying to impress a vegan colleague who was going to be in town for a few weeks. Well? It was mission accomplished. The muffins turned out so well, no one would’ve guessed that no animals were harmed in the making. In fact, everyone was so dead impressed by them, I had hardly any to spare my vegan friend.
Vegan Mixed Berry Muffins
Prep time: 10 minutes
Baking time: 25 minutes
1 1/2 cup spelt flour, sifted
3/4 cup coconut sugar
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 egg replacer or 1 tbsp flax meal plus 3 tbsp hot water
1/3 cup coconut oil
1/2 cup non-dairy milk
1 cup raspberries, blueberries or mixed berries
2 tbsp quinoa flakes
1 tbsp coconut sugar
1 tbsp flour
1-2 tbsp coconut oil
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1. PREHEAT oven to 200°C (390°F). Line or grease muffin tin.
2. PREPARE your crumble mix by mashing ingredients up with a fork.
3. WHISK dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl.
4. MIX. In a one-cup measuring jug or spoon, make your egg replacer by combining 1 tbsp of flax meal with 3 tbsp of hot water. Stir and allow to sit for a few minutes until thick and egg-like consistency. Add 1/3 cup of coconut oil and top the measuring jug or spoon with almond milk or any plant-based milk of choice, about 1/2 cup’s worth.
5. COMBINE WET & DRY INGREDIENTS. Make a well in a centre of the dry ingredients and add in wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Gently fold in berries.
6. BAKE. Fill muffin cups until 2/3 full and sprinkle the tops of each with roughly a spoonful of crumble mixture. Bake for 20-25 minutes.
7. STORE. Keeps up for 3-4 days in an air tight container.