Here’s a sequel for you – a butter cake in clever disguise. Based on a true story, the prim, perfect butter cake turns into a seductive temptress. It will leave you awestruck and your heart fluttering with delight.
It’s truly a gripping moment when you find yourself wanting more, and more.
MARBLE BUNDT CAKE
Prep time: 15 minutes
Baking time: 40-50 minutes
190g butter, softened and cubed
3/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla-bean paste or vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup milk
2 tbsp good-quality cocoa powder, sifted
1. PREHEAT the oven to 170°C/340°F. Grease a 12-cup bundt pan. I brush mine with melted butter with a pastry brush. Make sure every nook and corner is well greased.
* No bundt pan? Just use any cake tin you can find (eg. 1.5 lbs loaf, 23cm round, 20cm square) but cooking time may be slightly longer.
2. BEAT. With a paddle attachment on a stand mixer, beat butter and sugar until light. Gradually add eggs one at a time, mix on medium-high speed until just combined. Scrape bowl down with a rubber spatula every so often. Beat in 1 teaspoon vanilla.
3. In 3 alternating batches, with mixer on low speed, add flour and milk.
4. DIVIDE the mixture between 2 bowls. Stir cocoa powder into one of the bowls.
5. FILLING THE PAN. Start off by adding two scoops of vanilla mixture into pan. Alternate and pour one scoop of chocolate mixture on top of vanilla mixture. Shake and carefully spread mixture out with every layer. Continue to alternate between vanilla and chocolate layers until cake pan is filled. Tap the bottom on your work surface to release any trapped air bubbles.
If you’re lazy, just dollop alternate blobs of vanilla and chocolate mixture. Using a skewer, swirl it around the mixture a few times to create a marbled effect.
6. BAKE for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes. To remove cake from bundt pan, carefully run a small, flat non stick spatula along the edges of the pan before turning it around to cool completely. Serve on its own or with a rich chocolate ganache.