I dreamed a dream that all cakes are perfect and heavenly, every bite tempting the most jaded of appetites. This butter cake is the epitome of what all cakes should be – a piece of cake to make, a piece of cake too delicious.
It’s best fresh out of the oven as that’s when you can fully savour the crisp, sweet and slightly salty crunch of the crust and the soft, warm, buttery goodness within. If that is not possible, don’t worry, you will still earn yourself lots of praise.
PERFECT BUTTER CAKE
Prep time: Under 20 minutes
Baking time: 40-50 minutes
190g butter, softened and cubed
3/4 cup caster sugar
3 medium eggs
1 tsp vanilla-bean paste or vanilla extract
2 1/2 cup self-raising flour, sifted
1 cup milk
Tip: If using unsalted or salt reduced butter, I highly recommend adding a pinch of salt. It makes a delicious cake uber delicious.
1. PREHEAT the oven to 170°C/340°F.
2. GREASE & LINE cake pan – 20cm square cake pan, 22cm round cake pan or as pictured, 1.5 lbs loaf tin.
3. MIX. With a paddle attachment on a stand mixer, starting with low speed before gradually increasing the speed to medium-high, beat butter and sugar until light, about 2-3 minutes. Gradually add eggs one at a time, mix on medium-high speed until fluffy. Be sure to stop the mixture every so often to scrape down the sides. Mix in vanilla.
3. With mixer on low speed, add flour and milk in 3 alternating batches until just combined. Do not over-mix.
4. BAKE. Pour mixture into pan and bake for 45-50 minutes or until a skewer inserted in centre comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes, then turn onto a rack to cool completely.
5. STORE. Keeps in an air-tight container for up to 5 days.