The Housemate is a rather peculiar being, for he does not like chocolate. Or more specifically, milk chocolate and dark chocolate. As a result, I have started experimenting with white chocolate. I can’t say I’m particularly fond of the fairer chocolate as I have always found them far too sweet for my liking. I am, however, hooked on all things white chocolate and raspberries.
So, in order to cater for The Housemate (and myself), I made this raspberry and pistachio white choc rocky road. It’s slightly naughty and will fondle your sugary taste buds without being a total sugar whore. Giving it a drizzle of dark chocolate will tone down the sweetness …which then causes a major problem, it becomes too delicious!
WHITE CHOCOLATE ROCKY ROAD
Adapted from Bakers Royale
Prep time: 15 minutes
200g white chocolate, finely chopped
3/4 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped
1/2 cup freeze-dried raspberries
1/2 cup mini marshmallows
4-5 squares of 70% dark chocolate (optional)
1. Line a small tray with baking paper.
2. In a large heat proof bowl, melt white chocolate over a pot of simmering water (about 3″ deep of water). Stir constantly with a metal spoon. When 1/2 of the white chocolate is melted, immediately remove from heat and continue stirring until all chocolate is melted.
3. Stir in pistachios, freeze-dried raspberries and mini marshmallows.
4. Pour mixture onto lined tray. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Cut into desired chunks with a sharp knife. Finish with a drizzle of melted dark chocolate. Store in an airtight container, away from heat.
Tips on melting chocolate:
1. Chocolate will seize when it gets in contact with moisture. The way to get around this is to make sure all your bowls and spatulas are completely dry.
2. Chocolate will also become lumpy and muddy if overheated. Always try to maintain uniform heat by chopping chocolate into even chunks and melting slowly over low heat with constant stirring. Do not exceed 43ºC for white chocolate.